Tish & Chips
3 min read
Make the classic dish using tofu as a perfect plant-based alternative. This recipe is bought to life with the classic mushy peas and tartar sauce combo.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- 2 slices firm tofu
- 1 nori sheet
- 60g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 120ml beer
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into fries
- Preheat the oven to 250°C.
- For the chips, add the chopped fries onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Add to the olive oil, salt, and rosemary and toss until the potatoes are coated well. Arrange to ensure they are not overlapping.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and crispy.
- For the tish, cut your tofu slices in half so you have 4 pieces in total.
- Cut the nori sheet into four pieces that cover the top of each tofu slice. Place one sheet on each slice then push down slightly so the nori sticks.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the tofu pieces with a pinch a salt.
- To make the batter, add the flour, cornstarch, salt, and curry powder into a mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
- Add the beer and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Next, fill a deep frying pan with enough canola oil to cover the base by half an inch. Heat the oil on a high heat.
- Dip each tofu piece with the nori sheet into the batter, ensuring it’s well-coated on all sides, then add to the hot oil.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden. Transfer each piece onto a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- To serve, add a squeeze of lemon to your tish and chips as well as mushy peas and tartar sauce. Delicious!