3 min read
You can tweak this recipe and add whatever you have in the salad drawer.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 250g stale bread
- 600g ripe tomatoes
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Black olives
- Fresh basil leaves, torn
- Glug of oil
- Glug of vinegar
- Tear the bread into bitesize chunks. Drizzle with a little olive oil and toast in the oven until golden.
- Throw chopped tomatoes into a bowl with the sliced onion and chopped anchovy, season well with salt & pepper before adding the vinegar and oil. Allow the tomatoes to sit in the other ingredients until they have let out their juice and broken down a little in the bowl.
- Add the olives and tear in the basil leaves, stir well to incorporate all of the ingredients and taste to ensure the flavours are balanced; you are essentially making a salad dressing so you want to balance the richness of oil with the sharpness of vinegar, a good salty kick from anchovy & olive to sit alongside the sweetness of ripe tomatoes. This is a subjective process, amend the balance as you see fit.
- Once you are happy with the balance of your dressing add the toasted bread into the bowl and mix. Serve immediately with another scattering of basil leaves.