1. Place the flour, sugar, salt and butter in a bowl and work to a breadcrumb stage, then make a well in the centre.
2. Whisk the egg, yeast and milk together and add to the flour.
3. Work the dough for around 5 minutes, it will remain quite sticky.
4. Mix in the mixed peel and currants, cling film the dough and chill for at least one hour.
5. Divide the dough into 25g balls.
6. Press a piece of marzipan into the centre of each and leave in a warm place for about an hour when they should have doubled in size.
7. Fry the doughnuts at 160º C, rotating regularly for even colour. They should take 5-6 minutes to reach a deep golden brown. Dry on kitchen towel.
8. For the dulce de leche pour all of the ingredients into a pan bring to a simmer and stir constantly for 15 minutes.
400g strong white flour
70g caster sugar
90g unsalted butter
1 large egg
15g fresh yeast
50g mixed peel
1tsp caster sugar
For the dulce de leche
397g condensed milk
1tbsp butter, caster sugar and golden syrup