1. Toast the caraway seeds.
2. In a food processor or similar, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, caraway seeds and salt.
3. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg and milk, then pulse in the dry ingredients just until moistened.
5. Turn onto a floured surface, pat to 1 inch thick, cut out, re-roll (gently) and cut out again. 6. Brush the tops with milk and bake at 200º C, Gas mark 6, for 17-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
7. For the lemon crème fraiche, stir in the zest and lemon into crème fraiche and stir.
8. Place the salmon on the split scones, top with a drizzle of the sauce and a grind of black pepper.
250g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
2tsp caraway seeds lightly toasted
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold butter
1 tub of crème fraiche
zest and juice of 2 lemons