1. Wash and clean the leeks and cook whole in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain well, cool and then cut in half lengthways. Lay flat-side down on the board, and cut into 5mm (1/4 in) shreds or strips, not too fine.
2. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4. Butter a 1.2 litre (2 pint) pie dish, and then sprinkle with some of the grated cheese.
3. Put a layer of leeks in the bottom of the dish, cut the bread into a ¼ “ dice and sprinkle on leeks, then repeat this layering twice more.
4. Beat the eggs well together in a large bowl, then add the nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste, along with the rest of the cheese. Warm the milk and cream together, pour over the cheese mixture then gently pour all this over the leeks and bread in the pie dish.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, then take out and leave to sit for 5 minutes
6. Meanwhile cut the tomatoes in half horizontally, sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper and cook in oven 140 c for 40 minutes
7. 5 minutes before taking out, sprinkle with soy sauce
8. When cooked lay 3 x ½ tomatoes on plate and spoon a portion of pudding on top using a large metal spoon, serve hot
450g (1 lb) leeks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
55g (2 oz) unsalted butter
225g (8 oz) mature Cheddar, grated
12 slices white bread
A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
A pinch of cayenne pepper
300ml (10 fl oz) each of double cream and milk
1tbsp olive oil
Splash soy sauce
Salt & pepper