If you have made too much tomato sauce for pasta or have squidgy tomatoes that are too soft to put into sandwiches, try these homemade vegan baked beans.
1. If you are making the tomato sauce with squidgy tomatoes then add a tablespoon of oil into a saucepan and sweat the onions and crushed garlic until they are softened.
2. Add dried herbs and spices and stir through so that the onions are coated with the spiced oil. Add the diced tomatoes and the stock.
3. Cook until the tomato is broken down and saucy, then add the sugar, salt and pepper. (This is the stage of the recipe you will state at if you have a tomato sauce to hand already).
4. At this point, add the tinned beans and stir.
5. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce is thick and coats the beans.
6. Check the seasoning and serve on hot toast.
Credit: Alchemic Kitchen
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 20-25 Minutes
500g squidgy tomatoes (diced)
1 Onion (sliced)
200ml veg stock
1tbsp smoked paprika
1tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp dried herbs
1tsp caster sugar
2 tins cooked haricot beans