Carbonara is a really quick and easy dinner to make from scratch and the end result is much better than the overly creamy, bland readymade sauces that are available to buy. (Plus, having leftover egg whites are no bad thing, as you can make meringue!)
- Firstly, separate the egg yolks from the whites, leaving the egg whites in a large bowl.
- To the egg yolks, add the milk and grated cheese and mix until it is fully incorporated. Add the black pepper at this stage.
- Put your chosen pasta on to boil (any pasta you have in will do!)
- Whilst your pasta is boiling fry your bacon (or mushrooms) in a little vegetable oil until crispy and golden. Once the pasta is tender transfer it into the frying pan, with a tablespoon of the pasta water, to coat the pasta in all the bacon flavour.
- Transfer the coated pasta and bacon into the bowl containing the egg yolk mixture and toss through until the pasta is fully coated. Do not worry that you have not cooked the egg, the residual heat from the pasta and bacon will cook it through.
- If your pasta is a little craggy (technical term) then add a little more pasta water.
- Serve with a little extra grated cheese.
Credit: Alchemic Kitchen
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 10 Minutes
3 egg yolks (save the egg whites!)
100g grated cheese- parmesan preferably but cheddar works perfectly well.
1tsp ground black pepper
200g smoked bacon- chopped finely (or try mushroom for a vegetarian friendly alternative)