The Parsees love for potato has brought about the creation of several dishes either of potato as an individual product or as an addition to other meats and vegetables. This is one of the favourites and is served as an accompaniment to meats, poultry and fried fish.
1. Blanch the potatoes in just enough water to cover them until half done. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the oil or butter in a frying pan and add the cumin.
3. Allow the cumin to sizzle for a minute or so in the oil. If using butter, be careful not to overheat and burn (alternatively add the cumin and heat this up with the butter).
4. Add the turmeric and the chilli powder and put in the potato dices.
5. Lower the flame and cover the pan, turning the contents from time to time.
6. Check if the potatoes are cooked. Sprinkle the lemon juice and mix well.
7. Add salt to taste.
8. Sprinkle with chopped coriander.
Copyright Cyrus Todiwala Namaste of London Ltd
2 large potatoes, cut into small dices
½ tsp whole cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric
1tsp lemon juice
2tbsp of oil or 1½ tbsp butter
pinch of salt
1tbsp chopped coriander