Create Your Own Gingerbread Family
Get creative with the kids in the kitchen and try this easy gingerbread recipe. They’ll love baking and decorating these biscuits to make a tasty homemade Christmas gift. Extra points if you can make your gingerbread family look like their real-life relatives!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Next, add in the bicarbonate of soda, golden syrup and egg yolks.
- Sift in the flour, ginger and cinnamon and bring the mixture into a dough using your hands.
- Lightly flour your worksurface and roll the dough out until it’s around 0.5cm thick. Use the gingerbread cutter set to stamp out all the family members.
- Place the biscuits on the baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Once cooked, place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Decorate using icing, glitter gels, sprinkles (or anything else you can find!) to create faces, clothes and hair.
- Wrap up your gingerbread family and give them to loved ones for a thoughtful, homemade Christmas gift.
Prep time: 45 Minutes
Cook time: 12 Minutes
40g unsalted butter, softened
25g caster sugar
30g golden syrup
1 egg yolk
125g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Gingerbread men cutter set
Decorations – icing tubes, glitter gels, sprinkles, icing pens etc