These crunchy croquettes are both a stealthy way to get more vegetables into your kids as well as a great vegetarian party nibble.
1. Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan and just cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 14-16 mins until completely cooked through. Drain and mash well, then put back in the saucepan over a low heat and cook for 1-2 mins, stirring constantly – this will remove excess moisture.
2. Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, add the broccoli and simmer for 6-7 mins until tender. Drain really well and pat dry with kitchen paper (it’s important to do this thoroughly as excess water will make the croquettes a little wet). Finely chop the broccoli, then add to the mashed potato with the egg yolk, cheese and breadcrumbs. Divide the mixture into 12 equal balls and roll each one into a short sausage shape. Chill for 10 mins in the freezer.
3. Meanwhile, make the dip. Put the cream cheese, yogurt and chives in a bowl and stir to a soft consistency, adding the milk if needed.
4. Put the flour, beaten eggs and sesame seeds in three separate bowls. Roll the croquettes in the flour, dip in the beaten egg, then roll in the sesame seeds.
5. Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and fry the croquettes on a low-medium heat for 4-5 mins, turning frequently for an even, golden colour. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with the cream cheese dip.
Credit: Georgina Fuggle
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes
400g floury potatoes, large ones cut in half
150g broccoli, broken into florets
1 medium egg yolk
40g mature cheddar, grated
60g fresh breadcrumbs
For the crust:
20g plain flour
2 medium eggs , beaten
100g sesame seeds
4 tbsp olive oil
For the dip:
100g cream cheese
50g natural yogurt
1 tbsp chives, snipped
1-2 tbsp full-fat milk, if needed