Jo says: Quintessentially British, a timeless classic, the most loyal and versatile cake in my collection. She’s like a good friend who you can call on time and time again and she’ll never let you down.
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/Gas mark 4. Butter and line the base of each cake tin with a disc of buttered baking parchment.
2. Tip all of the cake ingredients into the bowl of a free-standing mixer and beat for 2 minutes until smooth. If you don’t have a free-standing mixer you can use an electric hand-held mixer.
3. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake tins and spread level using a palette knife. Bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until golden, well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven and carefully turn the cakes out of the tins, peel off the parchment and leave to cool on wire cooling racks.
5. De-stalk the strawberries, and chop the larger ones in half. Place in a pan and cover with the sugar and lemon juice. Place on a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat slightly leave on a rolling boil until the juices start to reduce, remove any froth from the top, pour into a bowl and cool in the fridge until set - this will be a softly set jam.
6. Whisk the double cream, caster sugar and vanilla bean paste until it reaches soft peaks. Cover the bottom cake with 3 heaped tbsp of jam. Spoon the cream into piping bag fitted with a 1/2inch round nozzle and pipe blobs of cream in circles over the layer of jam. Add a layer of sliced strawberries, pipe a circle of cream on the underside of the 2nd cake layer and place onto the strawberries, dust with icing sugar to finish.
For the cake:
200g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
200g caster sugar
200g Stork margarine, at room temperature
4 large eggs, beaten
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
For the strawberry jam:
400g caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
For the Chantilly cream:
300 ml double cream
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
150g sliced strawberries
You'll also need:
2 x 8" cake tins
Glass cake stand